Working from home has become mainstream for many of us, and selecting the best laptop for working from home can be difficult. Fret not! We explored the internet to find the top candidates for your needs. We have you covered whether you need a lightweight computer for video conference calls, a powerhouse for graphic creation, or something dependable for everyday chores.
So put on your comfy trousers, get a cup of coffee, and let’s explore the world of home office laptops.
What are the 7 Best Laptops for Working from Home?
Here are the 7 best laptops for working from home:
1. Dell XPS 13 9315 – Best Compact Laptop and Most Value for Money
The XPS 13 9315 laptop’s design is a thin, light notebook that doesn’t sacrifice performance for elegance.
With the Dell XPS 13 9315, the balance between performance and mobility has changed. By using an Intel Core CPU from the 12th generation with a basic TDP (Thermal Design Power) of just nine watts (28 watts boost), Dell could make the XPS 13 smaller and lighter overall without sacrificing performance.Expand To Read More 🡫
You might think its performance would suffer at such a low power level, but the XPS 13 never felt sluggish during everyday use. The XPS 13 9315 laptop combines portability and speed, making it lighter than most laptops.
Although Raptor Lake may be the newest craze on desktops, Alder Lake still rules the laptop world. The Core i5-1230U, the entry-level model in Intel’s mid-range i5 CPU lineup, has eight 3.3 GHz-capable E-cores and two P-cores with a maximum clock speed of 4.4 GHz. Because the i5-1230U has more E-cores than P-cores, it can achieve a low TDP of 9W.
E-cores are ideal in a slim and light notebook like the XPS 13 9315, even though they don’t always make sense on the desktop. Since most users will use this laptop to do light work like browsing the web or using office software, its two P-cores are sufficient for such tasks. Other applications like virus scanning may be done in the background using those efficiency cores.
The XPS 13 has very few connectivity ports due to its slim size. Despite that, Dell did not cut corners because the XPS 13 9315 comes equipped with a Killer Wi-Fi 6E 1675 network controller based on Intel’s AX211 chipset and features a 2×2 MIMO antenna arrangement. The 2×2 MIMO uses two antennas to establish up to two data streams with the receiving device. The throughput of 2×2 networks is increased by up to 100% compared to conventional single antenna networks. If your home network is 1 Gbps, that theoretically releases nearly 2 Gbps of bandwidth. Additionally, the Killer network configuration includes Bluetooth 5.2 connectivity.
The XPS 13 9315 is no different from other 13-inch notebooks in terms of the low number of available ports. The Dell XPS 13 has the fewest ports of any model so far, with just two Thunderbolt 4 USB-C ports (the charger will use one of those ports), and it does away with the headphone jack and microSD card slot from earlier generations.
Since the headphone jack that Dell had previously supplied on its XPS PCs is no longer present, it’s disheartening for someone who uses wired headphones on their PC. To Dell’s credit, the laptop comes with a USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor for wired headphones and a USB-C to USB-A adapter for older devices. However, you’ll probably need to invest in a USB-C hub if you frequently use wired peripherals and external monitors.
Overall, the Dell XPS 13 9315 is a great lightweight laptop that balances performance, portability, and style. Whether you’re a professional or just someone who needs a reliable machine for everyday use, the XPS 13 9315 is among the best laptops for working from home that is worth considering.Collapse To Read Less 🡩
- Display, Screen Size: 1920 x 1200, 13.4” 16×10 IPS display Full HD, InfinityEdge
- Weight: 2.59 lbs
- Battery life: Up to 12 hours, 51WHr
- Processor: 12ᵗʰ Generation Intel Core i5-1230U 8 cores,
- GPU: Intel Iris Xe Graphics
- WIFI: Wi-Fi 6E 1675 (AX211) 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.2 Wireless Card
- Installed Ram: 8 GB, LPDDR5
- Storage Space: 512 GB SSD, M.2, PCIe NVMe,
- Operating system: Windows 11 Home
- 13.4″ InfinityEdge Display
- Dual stereo speakers (tweeter + woofer) at the base of the laptop
- Killer Wi-Fi 6E 1675 network controller
2. Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15-inch Laptop – Best Budget Laptop
The Lenovo IdeaPad 3 is one of the best budget laptops for remote work. It is a lightweight laptop with long battery life, uses the AMD Ryzen 5 5300U processor with RX Vega 6 integrated graphics, has 8GB of memory, and has 512GB of SSD storage.Expand To Read More 🡫
This laptop is ideal for remotely accessing all your software applications from your office workstation. It feels well-built even though it’s mostly plastic, and it’s easy to carry around thanks to its thin and light design.
It has good battery life, lasting over 9 hours of light productivity and nearly 8 hours of video playback. The webcam’s video quality is decent for video conferences, the touchpad tracks reasonably well, and the keyboard has well-spaced keys, but it can be tiring to type on over time. The display gets bright enough for use in most settings, but its narrow color gamut makes most contents appear washed out, so it isn’t ideal for work that requires perfect image accuracy.
In light productivity tasks like text editing, spreadsheets, and web browsing, the Ryzen 5 5300U CPU offers a smooth experience. You can consider upgrading the processor to an AMD Ryzen 7 5700U if you frequently multitask or need to run a lot of multi-threaded programs on your home PC.
It can also do some 3D rendering if the work isn’t extremely sophisticated. However, its integrated GPU is insufficient (and there is no dedicated graphics card) for graphically challenging applications like high-end gaming or high-resolution video editing.
The standard 4GB option may create slowdowns or stutters. Therefore even if you want to customize the RAM, it is advised to acquire at least 8GB.Collapse To Read Less 🡩
- Display, Screen Size: 1920×1080, 15.6” FHD display
- Weight: 3.74lbs
- Battery life: Up to 9 hours, 38 WHr,
- Processor: 3.8 GHz AMD Ryzen 5 5500U Hexa Core Processor
- GPU: Integrated AMD Radeon 7 Graphics
- WIFI: 2 x 2 802.11AC Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5.0 Combo
- Installed Ram: 8GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
- Storage Space: 512 Gb SSD
- Operating system: Windows 10 Hom
- Narrow bezel screen
- Dual speakers enhanced with Dolby Audio
- Physical webcam shutter
- Q-Control for toggling between Max Mode and Stealth Mode
3. Apple Macbook Pro – Best Laptop for Content Creators
If you are a freelancer content creator and your work involves graphics-intensive editing software, then the Apple Macbook Pro is the best laptop for working from home for a person like that.Expand To Read More 🡫
The MacBook Pro is a workhorse for creative operations and supports many iPad and iPhone apps. Numerous apps can be added to your Mac’s software selections even though it is without a touchscreen.
Its six-speaker sound system can fill a room with a lot more bass and create an impressive three-dimensional soundstage. Pair this with its incredible Liquid Retina XDR display, it’s no different from having a portable theatre.
The MacBook Pro’s 1080p camera uses a wide aperture lens that allows more light in, providing better imaging in low light conditions. Together with its three studio-quality mic array that captures your voice clearly, it makes a significant difference when using it for video conferences and live streams.
As part of the switch to its bespoke silicon, Apple has redesigned the MacBook series during the past year. Apple first introduced the M1 chip in the 13″ MacBook Pro in November 2020. Subsequently, in October 2021, the all-new 14″ and 16″ MacBook Pro were fitted with the M1 Pro and the more powerful M1 Max chips.
The size of physical computers has some bearing on the chip’s configuration. By default, you will be upgrading from the base M1 if you desire the newer or larger sizes (which have many other advantages). The Apple M1 Pro chip and M1 Max chip may only be purchased with the 14″ and 16″ MacBook Pros, while the original Apple M1 chip is only available with the 13″ MacBook Pro.
The 10-core M1 Pro will perform satisfactorily with well-optimized software like Final Cut and DaVinci Resolve. It is fine to stick with the M1 Pro because audio programs tend to push that CPU rather than the GPU.
The M1 Max adds several components specifically designed for video and imaging; it is not worthwhile to spend extra for parts you won’t use. Hence, choose the M1 Max if you are doing a lot of content creation and can afford the high price.
It’s a simple decision: If you are not a professional content creator, choose the 10-core M1 Pro, and while you’re at it, strongly consider upgrading to 32GB of memory.
There are some valuable ports available for your advanced editing and charging needs. Three USB-C connections are now available (two on the left and one on the right), in addition to a 3.5mm headphone socket that supports high-impedance headphones, an SDXC card slot, and an HDMI port. A new MagSafe 3 charging port with a fabric-covered wire is also available to keep you charged.Collapse To Read Less 🡩
- Display, Screen Size: 3456 x 2234, 16.2”, Liquid retina XDR display
- Weight: 4.8lbs
- Battery life: Up to 12 hours, 100WHr
- Processor: M1 Pro, Up to 10-core CPU, 16-core Neural Engine
- GPU: 16-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
- WIFI: Wi-Fi 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6
- Installed Ram: 16 Gb
- Storage Space: Up to 1 TB
- Operating system: macOS
- The SoC (System-on-a-Chip) architecture houses a computer’s various processing components (CPU, GPU, media encoders, etc.) on the chip itself.
- Brilliant mini-LED backlit Liquid Retina XDR display with 3024 x 1964 resolution.
- Six-speaker sound system and support for Dolby Atmos spatial audio.
- MagSafe power charging cable for charging helps avoid unintentional cord trips.
4. Lenovo Yoga 7i 14-inch Laptop – Best Graphics Display for the Price
The Lenovo 14-inch Yoga 7i Gen 7 is one of the best laptops for remote work and for executives who frequently work out of the office to meet with clients or conduct presentations on their laptops.Expand To Read More 🡫
It has incredible quality and is reasonably priced. It is the best laptop for working from home based on size, weight, and processing power. It has close to 13 hours of battery life, and its performance is excellent for its class.
One great feature is that it can operate both as a laptop and a tablet. Users of this convertible touch-screen laptop would enjoy a dynamic experience.
For 2022, Lenovo updated the Lenovo Yoga 7i from top to bottom, significantly enhancing the user experience. It is now more lightweight, has smooth, rounded edges, and is more pleasant to type on.
It has an improved resolution from Full HD to 2.2K and now has 100% sRGB color gamut on the 16:10 display, which makes watching movies and Netflix more enjoyable.
It now comes with two Thunderbolt 4 USB-C ports for quicker data transfers, and each can connect up to two 4K 60hz DisplayPort or HDMI monitors through a compatible dock. There is also one HDMI port is also available.
There is also facial recognition and an in-built fingerprint reader as options for signing in. The webcam is now 1080p, enhancing the detail in your video interactions. The webcam also has a privacy shutter.
The Yoga 7i Gen 7 has superb audio output. There is a good amount of volume, distortion-free mids and highs, and a hint of bass. Even without using headphones, watching Netflix can be pretty enjoyable.
One disadvantage is that the Intel Iris Xe graphics on the Lenova Yoga 7i is not good enough for playing modern high-end games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Far Cry 6.Collapse To Read Less 🡩
- Display, Screen Size: 2240 x 1400 14”, 2.2K QHD 16:10 aspect ratio, touchscreen
- Weight: 3.2lbs
- Battery life: Up to 12 hours, 71 WHr
- Processor: Intel Core i7-1255U, 10-core/12 threads
- GPU: 128MB Intel Iris Xe graphics
- WIFI: Wi-Fi 6E (2×2), Bluetooth 5.1
- Installed Ram: 16 Gb of LPDDR5 RAM
- Storage Space: 512GB M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD
- Operating system: Windows 11 Home 64
- 360-degree hinge for converting between tablet and laptop mode
- 2.2K QHD OLED touchscreen display, 16:10 aspect ratio, 100% sRGB
- Facial recognition log-in on 1080p FHD IR webcam with privacy shutter
- Optional full-sized Active Pen
5. Acer Aspire 5 A515-56-36UT Laptop – Most Affordable Laptop
Among the Windows 11 laptops now on the market, the Acer A515-56-36UT is one of the best laptops in terms of value. It’s an excellent substitute for affordable Chromebooks, but its low price has some trade-offs, particularly in the build quality.Expand To Read More 🡫
You wouldn’t expect a laptop to have Alexa integrated into it, but the Acer Aspire 5 does. It is relatively inexpensive and will serve you well for regular productivity tasks. However, the laptop’s 4GB RAM might be insufficient for running multiple programs.
The Acer Aspire 5 might be the best laptop for working from home if you’re starting. In addition to HDMI, 2xUSB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A, USB 2.0, USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type C, RJ-45, and a 3.5mm mic/headphone jack, it boasts a good range of ports. A 720p HD webcam on this laptop makes remote work more convenient and is great for video conferences.
The Acer Aspire 5 is reasonably priced and performs admirably. It provides an Intel Core i3 processor, a 128 GB SSD storage drive, 4 GB of RAM, and excellent high-definition display quality on a small budget. It has good battery life and does not need to be charged constantly. This is the best laptop for working from home in terms of budget.
In terms of expansion, the Aspire 5 is unique. The interior is accessible, and there is a second storage slot for additional storage space. This laptop also comes with a hard-drive bay. The Aspire 5 is more future-proof than most recent laptops. For an additional fee, you may change this laptop’s processor to an Intel Core i5 or Intel Core i7 model for more computing capability.
The Acer Aspire 5 A515-56-36UT is among the best laptops for remote work. It is a decent low-cost laptop with good performance and features. It is perfect for simple and casual activities such as web browsing, word processing, and video streaming. Still, it may struggle with more demanding tasks such as video editing and gaming. However, it might not be appropriate for those who have higher demands.Collapse To Read Less 🡩
- Display, Screen Size: 1920 x 1080, 15.6” Full HD (FHD) non-touch
- Weight: 4.19lbs
- Battery life: Up to 6.5 hours, 48 WHr
- Processor: 11th Generation Intel Core i3-1115G4, 2 cores/4 threads
- GPU: Integrated Intel UHD Graphics
- WIFI: Wifi-6, Bluetooth 5
- Installed Ram: 4 Gb DDR4
- Storage Space: 128 GB NVMe SSD
- Operating system: Windows 11 (S Mode)
- Asking a query is all it takes to use Alexa on your PC. Ask Alexa to read the news, create lists, play music, check your calendar, and more.
- Touchpad multi-touch gesture.
6. Razer Blade 17 (2022) Laptop – Best Laptop for Gamers
Although the Razer Blade 17 looks exactly like the Razer Blade 17 (2021), it has several updated hardware improvements, including a faster 12th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, 32GB DDR5 RAM, and a beefed-up NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti GPU, when combined, gives impressive power.Expand To Read More 🡫
The Razer Blade 17 is difficult to lug around due to its size and weight. However, once it is on the table, it is a powerful laptop, offering a close-to-desktop gaming experience that’s a notch above many rivals. Delivers exceptional video and image quality, including color, contrast, and visual clarity, which makes it stand out in the display sector.
Other improvements include larger keycaps for more comfortable typing and laser-cut speaker grilles.
A rigid and sturdy CNC-milled aluminum chassis supports the 16:9 QHD display. Additionally, the hinges are very durable, allowing the top to remain open only an inch from the base.
Some 17-inch screen gaming laptops have keyboards similar to their full-sized desktop equivalents, but the Razer Blade 17’s keyboard is deficient in key choices. The right-side numeric keypad is absent. The Blade 17 makes up for its lack of key variety with generously large keycaps that give your fingers plenty of room to spread out. Additionally, the precision trackpad can respond efficiently to finger strokes.
As opposed to a 720p webcam, the Razer Blade 17 has a 1080p Windows Hello webcam. For gaming laptops, that’s pretty uncommon.
Audio is crystal clear while gaming on the Razer Blade 17. Including 4 tweeters and 4 subwoofers, this laptop has 8 speakers. The bass is good. It is possible to fill the room to a respectable degree with the volume levels.
You can set up your Blade 17 like a desktop with a wired mouse and keyboard for low-latency gaming if you utilize the appropriate input devices. You can plug in nearly all your devices at once owing to the Blade 17’s great variety of ports, including 2xThunderbolt 4 USB-C, 2.5 Gb Ethernet port, 3xUSB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A ports, HDMI 2.1. SD Card reader and 3.5mm combo microphone/headphone jack.
The Razor Blade 17 is definitely not the best laptop for working from home (I hope you sensed the sarcasm) since you will be too distracted thinking about all the fun you have playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider or Metro Exodus.Collapse To Read Less 🡩
- Display, Screen Size: 2560×1440, 17.3” QHD 240Hz display
- Weight: 6.06lbs
- Battery life: Up to 3 hours, 82 WHr
- Processor: Intel Core i7-12800H,
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti GPU
- WIFI: Wi-Fi 6E 802.11ax, Bluetooth 5.2
- Installed Ram: 32GB of DDR5 RAM 4800MHz
- Storage Space: 1TB of PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSD
- Operating system: Windows 11
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti GPU
- FHD 1080p webcam
- Extra m.2 slot and user-upgradeable memory slots that support up to 64GB of memory
- Anti-fingerprint coating
- 8 dynamic multi-driver speakers, 4 tweeters, and 4 subwoofers supported THX Spatial Audio
7. Dell Latitude 5430 Rugged Laptop – Best Laptop for a Rugged Environment
If you spend more time outdoors than in the office, you should consider getting a semi-rugged laptop. Semi-rugged laptops need to be spill-proof since it might rain outdoors. They need to withstand vibration because they will be in cars for a while, and they need screens that can be used and viewed outside in direct sunlight. They must have the speed and power to complete all tasks, excellent long battery life to last the entire day, all the necessary ports, and be portable enough to go anywhere.Expand To Read More 🡫
The Latitude 5430 is Dell’s newest rugged (technically semi-rugged) laptop. It looks excellent in the office and out in the field, and while being heavier than a business laptop or even a mobile workstation, its robust grip makes it easy to carry the computer around.
In contrast to other rugged laptops, the Dell Latitude 5430 sticks out thanks to its all-black design and carbon fiber lid. The rigid handle acts as a palm rest when using the device’s touchpad and is also convenient to carry about while in the field.
When combined with the Nvidia T500 dedicated graphics option, the 11th Generation Intel Core i5 or Intel Core i7 processor offers more than adequate power for most tasks. There are several ports on both sides and the back of the Latitude 5430. Additional spaces are available for more ports.
Depending on your demands, Dell offers a wide range of alternative configurations for this device suitable for big companies, the military, emergency services, and first responders.
The Latitude 5430 sports a good size 14″ 1080p screen, a webcam with an integrated privacy shutter, and can endure drops and harsh temperatures. You can add more connections, dedicated graphics, a separate GPS card, a rubberized keyboard, or even another battery.
Most users will find the Latitude 5430 cumbersome. Still, companies wishing to provide robust laptops for their field personnel will be happy with the capabilities and speed boost the integrated 11th Generation Intel processors offer.Collapse To Read Less 🡩
- Display, Screen Size: 1920 x 1080, 14.0” display Full HD
- Weight: 4.35 lbs
- Battery life: Up to 7.5 hours, 53.5 WHr
- Processor: 11ᵗʰ Generation Intel Core i5-1135G7, 4 cores/8 threads,
- GPU: Intel Iris Xe Graphics
- WIFI: Intel AX210 Wireless Card with Bluetooth
- Installed Ram: 16 GB, DDR4
- Storage Space: 512 GB SSD, M.2, PCIe NVMe,
- Operating system: Windows 11 Pro
- Durable military-grade chassis
- Rapid charging boost
- Glove-touch capability and sunlight visibility screen
- Temperature tested from -20°F to 145°F, 3′ drop test, and IP53 rating
- Backlit keyboard
- Webcam cover, fingerprint reader, and TPM 2.0 security feature
- Handle serves as palm rest